Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bible bashing, water balloons and breastfeeding( I add this)

I had another chance to get wet this week but it wasn`t in a font. No baptism this week but while we were on a bus going down the highway I was standing in the aisle because it was super packed but I saw someone on the side of the road. As we passed I saw them throw something and before I could realize what happened a water balloon comes fling in the open window and just soaks everyone in the area. It was quite funny and my companion got a bigger blow then me but I thought it was just hilarious. And also I learned yesterday my companion likes Bible bashing. lol we were at a house, we were done and about to leave when he always likes to ask if they have any questions about anything. This girl that looked about 16 but was really 20 started asking questions about the bible and so my companion starts just simply answering the questions using the bible but it started getting a little back and forth about the bible, no testimony. I had to put a stop to it. I explained that the only reason we are here and know a lot of these answers is because of a prophet and bore my testimony on the restoration and prophets and I wanted to leave it at that but I could tell my companion wanted to keep going as well. My companion is a great teacher but he also teaches in a lot of depth so everything is perfectly clear which is good but a visit can take like 1 ½ hours. I don`t have a lot to say right now but I`m trying my best to work with him. My Spanish has improved sufficiently this week. I`m teaching a lot more and I understand more of what people say too. I can also do a lot more with contacts but still struggle at times when someone talks to me about something not related to religion but I`m slowly picking it up.

And of course I`m super grateful for my penchanista and I try to talk to her as much as I can to learn foods and different talk then just religion but it’s still hard. I can`t wait till it just flows and don`t have to think so much about the language and can teach by feeling more, if you know what I mean.

I ran into some weird situations this week with mothers just breastfeeding their baby in public, its weird and I don`t like it; once someone just started breast feeding their baby in the middle of our lesson. It startled me a lot. lol I`m just thinking please do that when we leave! (I am ROFL, I guess I did not expose him enough to this sort of thing, I thought I had, because we are not a real private reserve type of family. To hear his discomfort around breastfeeding makes me giggle every time I imagine his reaction lol)

We are making some progress with some investigators though and found a couple good investigators this week. Fam. Ortega is just loving the lessons and asking a lot of questions and also Jaime. They both weren`t able to assist the church this week but hopefully next week when they said they would. It’s hard to get people to assist church because everyone works at the beach on Sundays. And we found a new investigator whose father died when she was 15 and has been always a little curious and confused about what happens after death and so we are going to teach lesson 2 really well and that will be real good. This week hasn`t really been easier but it’s been good. Its defiantly hard and sometimes I get frustrated with my companion but I`m trying my best, and it’s a good thing I can actually talk to him a little but I`m defiantly trying my best. I taught one principle to my companion in English and it was so easy and instead of thinking about the words I could think about the principle and it was so different and sometimes I feel like I just went stateside and it would be easier but this is where I was called. (We can do hard things)

So I`ve also gained about 15 pounds sense being on my mission mas o menos. But you don`t have to worry it’s not fat, I`ve been working out every morning doing my abb work out and then a ton of push-ups after and just been filling out a lot more. I have a pretty sweet six pack, i aint going to lie. lol and I can now do 50 push-ups in a row right now. My goal is to do 100 by the end of my mission and I started at only 30 so we will see how it goes and how long my determination lasts but for the past 6 weeks I have been doing the abb work out each day and that only takes like 10 mins. Maybe one transfer I’ll just give up and start getting fat but not yet. Today we are going to the beach to play some soccer and ultimate Frisbee. I’m excited. I’ll get some pictures.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Kate! Enjoy being 17 it was the funnest (most fun)and best age, I think 17 and 18 are the best years. I`m sending a letter home and the memory card tomorrow when we go to puenta piedra because they don`t have anywhere to send things here in ancon. But I hope you have a great birthday and know I’m thinking of you. It’s in my planner! After Kate’s birthday we have a birth next or my birthday, CRAZY!!!

Well love you all and thanks for all your support and know you’re in my prayers and I’m trying my best.

-Elder Corbett

He is doing Well!!


1 comment:

  1. I think breast feeding openly is pretty wide spread in Latin America. I had an experience on my second day in my first area. I served in Mexico. We went tracting to a vecindad which is an apartment building but the entire apartment is built around a court yard and you enter from the street thru a wide door into the courtyard. This one was three stories high and we decided to start tracting on the top floor. My companion, Elder Whetton, did the door approach on the first door. On the second he knocked and said to me before the door opened, " this one is yours". A young lady not much older than us answered the door. She was nursing a baby that was probably about 9 or 10 months old and was held in such a way that all was fairly obsured. The walkways in this building were quite narrow. I had one hand full of Joseph Smith Pamphlets resting on the handrail. As you can imagine, I was scared and extremly nervous, being my first door approach. As I strarted to talk, in my poor spanish, the baby let go of the mom's equipment and turned in her arms to see where that noise was coming from. In doing so, he exposed two of the most beutiful brests that this Idaho farm boy had ever seen (only ones he had seen in the flesh). Well I was so suprised I released all the phamphlets in my hand and they floated down all three stories. I could not say anything in english let alone spanish so my companion took over. No, she did not get baptized!

    ReplyDelete