Sunday, February 13, 2011

Didn`t take me long to pull out the baptismal clothes. 1-31-11

(Beware I didn't do much editing on this letter and it is fairly long.)

So this week went great but could have gone better in my mind. So we worked hard and I didn`t know how a mission would truly be so I`m just following my companion and I’m slowly learning, along with that I`m noticing things we could do better. It`s hard for me to correct him when I can`t make it better myself because I don`t know Spanish, lol. I`m trying sometimes I just feel so sad because I feel like a crutch not being able to really understand people or answer questions or do contacts. I did a couple contacts by myself and they went horrible because I try my very best but either they don`t understand me or other times they say something back and I don`t know what they said but I`m trying. If you want you could send the gift of tongues in that package of yours, ;-) I`d like that. In reality I have come a long way, and super lucky to be able to adjust while in the CCM down here and I know basic Spanish and I think now I can really start to progress faster it’s just been really hard this week with the Spanish but I haven`t felt like a deer in the headlights because I went through that in the CCM. I can communicate with my companion pretty well and sometimes I`ll get frustrated with myself because you know me I want to understand people and be able to express myself fully. That’s my hardest trial right now, I can`t express myself like I can in English. I hope it will come soon.

Well in good news we had 3 baptisms this Sat. and it was really special, at first we only had 2; a brother and a son to a part member and they all lived together. The two and then the members wife would also listen to the missionaries. I got to teach them a lot about the commandments and it was really cool because they were excited, but originally the wife wasn`t going to get baptized but Thursday when the brother was going to the interview she came too with him and told us she was going to be baptized. The son needed to learn a little more and so his interview was the next day and the wife wanted to be a surprise to her son so Sat. when we had the baptism the son, Josè didn`t know his mom was going to get baptized. It was so cool I got to baptize Josè and his mom. It’s a good thing that last week in the CCM I learned the baptismal prayer in Spanish and then the next thing was just trying to say their names. Names and addresses are so hard for me. Anyway all three got baptized and the member was so excited and it was awesome and they also have one other son that is a member of about 1 1/2 years and so now they are a full member family!

In other news my companion`s name is Elder Iquic and he`s from Guatemala and he`s been out for 10 weeks and we are working hard! Just had to move apartments today which was a pain, I liked our old apartment more, whatever. And I never have to worry about cooking or laundry and stuff I HAVE A PENCHANISTA! So take that mom and dad, never have to cook or do my laundry. And we aren`t allowed to eat with the members anymore, lol I think it’s because too many Norte Americano were getting sick. so hahaha. Ok so am real close to the ocean there is always a breeze here which I love, I think I would die without it. It’s hot here but not as hot as I thought it would be but it is only the beginning of the summer so we will see. My companion is always complaining though and since I worked all summer in the sun and in pants, I think that was hotter because it is a lot more humid in VA. I have seen the ocean only a couple times though and our area doesn't go all the way to the beach, everything is dusty here and hilly. To get anywhere we take a bus and it’s either a sol or half a sol and 3 sols make a dollar. So it’s cheap I don`t know how mail or anything else work yet especially the addresses so if you could somehow find a map of Peru that would be helpful I don`t know areas very well. I`m right near Ancon so you can put a dot on the map, I think that’s still a part of Lima, but I`m not sure. lol Well I`ll keep trying to keep my head high and just send snacks! I want American food and snacks. I ate all the nutella it was good! lol I think I get money from the mission tomorrow for the month for travel and stuff so I`m not pulling it out of my pocket. Ummm for clothes and stuff like that you don`t need to send anything I can get all of that stuff here, if there is something to do with clothing you can do it here.

Well I love you all and thanks for all your encouraging words some days are real hard and its only been a week but I`m trying. I just wish I could express myself more, but that will give me a desire to learn faster and learn as fast as I can. I was going state side English speaking I would be so ready and pumped but it’s a lot harder in Spanish and not being able to understand people. Love you all though and there really isn`t anything I need right now but a package with whatever would be awesome. I also think pouch mail is the way to go, I guess I only get mail once a week anyway and its cheaper for you and gets here safer so I would look in my packet and give people that for letters but It can only be nothing in the envelopes. Oh and tell the Blodgett’s thanks for the Christmas card it got here safe while I was in the CCM. And always Dear Elder`s get here so that’s always an option as well.

Love you all and glad even though the storms are crazy there you’re enjoying your time together and having fun!

Love,

Elder Corbett

No comments:

Post a Comment