Friday, May 20, 2011

Fun with the Language

Fun with the Language

Dear Family and Friends, 4-18-11

Well not many investigators this week but working on it. Today we find out about transfers, I hope I don`t get transferred! I don`t really want to be transferred and have to pack up all my stuff. lol but I guess its whatever the president says right. In this mission we don`t have a normal for anything right now because its so new, because the last transfer just about everyone changed companions but because its stabilizing I think not very many are going to change this time, but who knows. We`ve been doing so many contacts this week and been having a little success. We have redeemed a baptismal date so even after 6 baptisms you can still have another one ready. I had actually worked with him a lot in the last transfer and with this transfer every time we went to go teach him, he was never there. but this past Sunday he came to church after probably 4 or 5 weeks and he was like, "I want to talk to you guys" and so we talked to him and he said " yea I want to be baptized because I know that’s how I can be clean from my sins" and so we congratulated him and picked a date for his baptism which is the 30th of April. Wahoo!

But this week we worked a lot on less actives and recent converts. We had 13 lessons of this type but it was not in vain like a lot of times it is. Almost every single one of them came to church and all 6 of our baptisms came to church this past week. It was great two of the received the priesthood as well. They are great and the ward is helping out a lot, but one problem we are having is space in our chapel! We need a real chapel here because all it is a house chapel and probably about 100 or 150 can fit in our chapel so we are in real need to a great big chapel. And then maybe we would have a piano I could play because we just sing acpello. But I love going into new members’ houses after they have been baptized and receive the Holy Ghost because there is such a different spirit! We went to visit the Ortega`s and there was just such a different spirit they weren`t confused anymore, they didn`t know everything and how the church is exactly organized but it was no more of solving their doubts about the church because now they know and truly feel it! Also we visited Fabiola and this is where I talk about the funny stuff with the language. we visited her and she is probably 80 and poor sister I had to baptize her two times because I forgot to say her name, I still feel bad but she has such great faith, and she gave up cafè like that because I said it’s a commandment! PODEROSO!!! but when we went back she had a question about where the envelopes where for the tithing and fast offering and so I didn`t know how to say pulpit in Spanish and so I asked my companion. he said "Pùlpito" (oh yea I duh that’s easy) and so I said "Pulpìto" but I didn`t say it right, because I mixed up the accent and instead of saying pulpit I said little octopus, because pulpo is octopus and with the "ito" it means little. Haha so I told her the envelopes were next to the little octopuses in the chapel. LOL it was really funny and it gave us a good laugh for the rest of the night. I also made a lady a little mad at me yesterday because I was pretty straight up with her and just straight up asked if she thought her church was the one true church. lol I don`t feel bad though because it’s our mission to testify of this and she still didn`t say she thought her church was true. I thought it was pretty funny and I`ve learned to be pretty direct with people now because this is for their salvation and they need to know the truth, especially when it comes to teaching the law of chastity, I`m not scared to teach that anymore!

Well still working hard and can`t believe I`ve been out for 5 months, Wow the time is so fast in your mission and it’s just really crazy all the things that have already happened, and I’ll let you know next week where I`m at but I have a feeling I`ll be in the same area for some reason. But thanks everyone for your prayers and thoughts!

Con Amor,

Elder Corbett

p.s. be careful with your accents in Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment