Sunday, January 22, 2012

I owe double this year!

Dear Family and Friends, 12-12-11

Well this week was pretty interesting. We almost had a baptism out of nowhere. We have been working hard with one young man for the last 2 months I would say and he finally was progressing and had a baptismal date for Saturday and he was really excited, we didn`t think he would be baptized this Saturday but was really had the desire and will to continue with everything. We talked to him Friday in the morning and he was excited and was ready had almost all the lessons and he wanted to be baptized and so we finished the lessons right there and called the Zone Leaders to come at night and do his interview. He passed the interview and we really excited. But the next day he came looking for us in the morning and said he didn`t feel ready! we talked to him for a good hour and a half and talked about his desires in life and how he was feeling and I felt that really to be baptized only could help him, he`s had a hard life and with lots of worries and stresses and we told him what baptism does for people but he never came to his baptism. I realized something, when people have a baptismal date and are really excited and feel what that its right and except it they feel good. Its like waiting in line for a roller coaster. You never see someone sad getting off if its a good coaster, they are always happy. but as you get closer and are right there to buckle up it gets a little nerve racking and that’s when you have to decide if you`ll do it or not. For the investigator they always have that battle the day before or the day of. Will I really do this? And its a hard decision, but that is right where the people show their faith. They trust in the promises of God! The people that go through with it feel the blessing and it doesn`t matter how they enter the water with a face of worry or doubt but they always leave with a smile! And those that don`t choose to get baptized in the final hour, its like they stopped their eternal progress. I`m not kidding about that, Its so hard to get them to come to church again and have them keep the commitments we set. Its an interesting trend for those that have faith and those that get choked in the doubt in the last min.

This Christmas I realized I owe double to our Lord. Last year I think I didn`t really want to celebrate Christmas, first time away from family and in the sun and just didn`t do much to remember why we really celebrate Christmas. I re-read this week the Birth of Jesus Christ and its made me realize a lot of things I didn`t realize before. How humble Jesus was, why do I need to have special things during this time when he had nothing! It’s a wonderful thing that I have a second chance for my grinchiness of the year before. Me and my companion are now singing Christmas hymns to all the people we can. To members, to investigators’, and to contacts we just met. We want people to REMEMBER why this time is here and now just try and have a pretty tree or lights. "you can`t ruin Christmas with fire"! I love you all and wish you a happy and merry Christmas time! Love you all,

Elder Corbett!

p.s. What present are you going to give Christ this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment